Disclaimer: I did receive this for free to try, but I wasn't ask to review it. All opinions are my own of how it worked out for me. No one or brand influenced my review any shape or forum.
Hey beauties, I just recently found out about "kojic acid soap", I ask myself where was it all my life? And why have I just known about this now? Let me give a little insight, then I'll get on to my review.
Kojic soap is a very powerful skin lightening soap made from kojic acid, which is also called Sake or Japanese rice wine. What it does is it aggressively exfoliates the top layer of the skin to reveal a much whiter and smoother skin tone underneath.
Can be used for both face and body
What are the benefits of using kojic acid soap?
Aside from its skin lightening benefits, kojic soap also does these things:
▪ Helps remove acne/pimples and acne scars.
▪ Gets rid of hyperpigmentation, melasma, dark spots and other skin blemishes.
▪ Exfoliates and deeply cleanses the skin, which help get rid of blackheads, whiteheads and it also unclogs pores. Note that clogged pores can make your the appearance of your pores enlarged.
▪ Evens skin tone and doesn’t make you look like you “bleached” your skin. Kojic acid soap actually gives you that “natural” lighter skin tone and this is one of its advantages. I know a lot of people (especially women) who use skin whitening products and it looks so obvious because they have a “fake white” on.
▪ Gets rid of dark spots in the body especially in the underarms, buttocks, knees, elbows and inner thigh area.
The results overtime is comparable to getting a regular chemical peel and microdermabrasion combined without the downtime at a fraction of its cost.
Who should NOT use this product:
Individuals who stay under too much sunlight should not use this soap at all. The reason for this is because this soap contains kojic acid, a very powerful skin whitening agent that can produce adverse effect when used under direct sunlight. Note that if you plan on using any kind of skin whitening product (soaps, creams, toner, etc.) you should not stay under the sun anyway.
What you should expect:
Common side effects that are NORMAL:
Please note that all of the side effects listed below will not be experienced by everyone since we all have different skin types. Also, these side effects might last between 1-3 weeks depending on your skin sensitivity.
▪ Itchiness (use a heavy cream or lotion to prevent this from happening)
▪ “Tight Feeling”
▪ Breakout (happens most of the time if you’re acne-prone)
▪ Dry skin (use a heavy lotion or cream)
▪ Burning/Tingling Sensation
Note: Don’t panic if you experience these side effects because it will eventually go away. It’s temporary.
• DO use a water-based moisturiser to prevent or treat skin dryness
• DO read the instruction for usage on your kojic acid soap package
• DO know the contents of your soap. The levels of Kojic acid shouldn't exceed 1-2%
• DO be consistent and patient. It will take several weeks for the soap to really make a difference in your skin tone
First Week: If this is your first time using a kojic soap, then you should only use it once a day for no more than 20 seconds. You have to let your skin get used to the kojic acid. Leaving the soap on your skin for more than the time stated above might cause redness and irritation.
Second Week: You can now use it twice a day for no more than 20 seconds each time.
Third Week and so on: It’s now ok to leave it on for 1-2 minutes and use it twice daily.
Make sure you moisturize your face and or body after washing.
Now that's out of the way, let me tell you my thoughts of how it worked on my skin.
I don't know how people take to this lightening thing, but if you are of color you won't become white.
This is not a bleaching method.
Dermatologist and skin care companies recommend using the kojic acid soap for at least 8 weeks. If you have the patience you can increase this period to 16 weeks to see the ideal results.
If your wondering if it does what it says it does—It absolutely works. At first I used this just on my body. I used a loaf to really scrub my body for 2-3minutes. (I personally did not have any irritation besides slight tingling which wasn't uncomfortable.) I did notice my body was a bit dry after I was done, but nothing a body cream can't fix. I've been using this daily for a month straight. It evened out my skins complexion, brightened my skin and helped get rid of dark pigmentation's. I freaking love this soap. It makes my skin texture smoother and tones it. I than went on to trying on my face which made me so nervous! What I did was did a patch test on one side of my face to get a feel how it would react. To my surprise my face did not have any negative side effect. Which is a huge plus. Than I got excited! My stubborn dark spots are fading to nothing, my acne scars are starting to vanish, and hardly any breakouts. Why isn't everyone on this band wagon?!
You probably asking how does it do all that? It does this by exfoliation. When I say exfoliation, I mean exfoliation. If I lather this soap on my face for like 30 seconds then rinse I will notice dead skin in the water. It removes the top layer or dead skin that's on the surface, slowly making it brighter. My skin is so soft after using this. One thing to know about kojic acid soap is that it temporarily stops your production of melanin, once that happens it will then begin to brighten the skin. Once you stop using it your melanin production will continue, but that does not mean the dark spots or blemishes would appear again. Its like starting with a fresh slate.
Have you tried kojic acid soap? What are your thoughts on this?
Until next time,